Generally education in Germany is free but in some universities there is a tuition fees. The fee is very different between various university and starts from 500€ up to some thousands per semester.
The bachelor programs normally are free. Although master programs (in particular the international ones) are not free, the tuition fees are so little that they can be also considered as “free programs”.
The federal state of Baden-Württemberg has decided that from the winter semester 2017/18 non-EU citizens students of Bachelor’s, Master’s, Diplom and state examination degree programs should pay tuition fees of 1500 euros per semester.
PhD students should not pay any tuition fees all over Germany but instead they will be generally employed by the university and get paid during their studies either as a scholarship, stipend holders or part to full time job.
- International programs in Germany.
- Some international Bachelor programs in Germany
- Some international Master programs in Germany
Note that semester contribution which is very common in German Universities (average 150 euro/semester) is for the extra service that universities provide for the students such as free public transportation service (semester pass) or some additional services for social activities of the students including student canteens, student dorms services among others.
- How to apply to study in Germany (The German programs)?
- What are the admission requirements in German universities?
- How much does it cost to live in Germany as a student?
- The list of universities in Germany
You can see more informations about the academic salary in Germany and comparison of the academic salary in Europe.